Why every screenwriter should master these two genres:
Horror & Comedy
It’s no secret: horror and comedy scripts are especially attractive to budget-minded producers. These genres are uniquely marketable with proven audiences. While not every script fits neatly into any one genre, believe me when I say that the final movie will be marketed
as a specific genre!
Getting your script produced is the most important step in your career as a screenwriter.
That’s why we’ve focused on creating all-star panels of industry judges for both of these genre contests. ScreenCraft offers genre-specific contests because they eliminate the “genre bias” that writers sometimes experience in larger screenwriting competitions. Is it OK if your script contains elements of several genres? Of course! Is it valuable to present your script to producers and financiers as a specific genre? YES.
We’re back in 2014 with these exciting panels of judges for both horror and comedy contests, and we look forward to reading your screenplay!
Now accepting SHORT screenplays too!
Jury includes top Hollywood production companies:
- Mark O’Connor, producer at Green Hat Films (THE HANGOVER, PROJECT X, DUE DATE)
- Alex Plapinger, executive at Montecito Picture Company (I LOVE YOU MAN, UP IN THE AIR, OLD SCHOOL, NO STRINGS ATTACHED)
- Billy Wee, executive at Happy Madison (Adam Sandler’s company with such hits as DEUCE BIGALOW: MALE GIGALO, PAUL BLART: MALL COP, ANGER MANAGEMENT, FUNNY PEOPLE, GROWN UPS, THE GOLDBERGS)
- Dave Rath, manager at Generate (clients: Patton Oswalt, Kyle Kinane)
- Joe Farrell, executive at Funny or Die (owned by Yahoo and Will Ferrell)
- Sean Covel, producer (Napoleon Dynamite, Beneath, Broken Hill)
- Taylor Benzie, manager at Kaplan/Perrone
- Ben Mekler, staff writer at Nerdist Industries
- Manager at Mosaic Media Group which represents the industry’s hottest comedy writers and talent, including such comedy giants as: Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, Andy Samberg, Isla Fisher, Olivia Munn, Will Forte, Nick Kroll and many more!
- First place feature screenplay winner will receive $1,500 cash prize + introduction to agents, managers and producers
- Winner will also receive a phone consultation with comedy writer David Mandel (EuroTrip, The Dictator, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm)!
- First place comedy SHORT screenplay winner will receive $1,000 + a phone call to discuss your project with Joe Farrell, development exec at FunnyOrDie.com!
- Top 5 finalists will receive a page of expert feedback from one of our industry judges.
- All entries are eligible for optional feedback from a studio-trained professional reader.
- Early entry fee is only $29.
- Short screenplay entry fee is only $15. Limit 20 pages. Multiple entries are welcome.
Whether you have a romantic comedy or an action-comedy blockbuster, we want to read your script. Big or small, we want to read smart movies with strong command of the craft and lots of heart. Enter today!
Enter Your Comedy Script Here! Click link below
Do you have a horror or thriller screenplay? We’re thrilled to announce the SIX featured judges for our 2nd Annual ScreamCraft Horror Script Contest, in partnership with ShockTillYouDrop.com:
We doubled the prize this year to $2,000 and the winner gets a phone consultation with one of Hollywood’s hottest horror filmmakers, writer-director Scott Derrickson (SINISTER, THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE)!
Hollywood’s top genre reps and producers are judging this year’s contest:
- Ryan Turek, founder and editor of popular horror website ShockTillYouDrop.com
- Scott Henderson, top agent at Paradigm Talent Agency, represents renowned horror filmmakersJames Wan and Leigh Wannell
- Andrew Wilson, manager at Zero Gravity, represents acclaimed horror writer Clive Barker
- Amotz Zachai, manager at Echo Lake Management, represents legendary filmmakers including master horror writer-director John Carpenter!
- Jessica Hall, Senior Vice President at Blumhouse Productions, the company behind micro-budget horror hits including The Paranormal Activity, Insidious, The Purge and Sinister franchises.
- Lucy Mukerjee, Vice President of Production and Development at After Dark Films
Enter Your Horror Script Below: Click The Link
Check out the contest page for the full list of judges and prizes!